Monday 23 January 2012

Inika Mineral Eyeliners: Sapphire & Black Caviar


Rating: 3/5, available from Being Content with prices starting from £11.75 (+p&p), Naturisimo for £10 (inc p&p), and Feelunique for £11.75 (inc worldwide p&p).

It’s been almost a year since my last natural eyeliner post. I’ll admit to you now that when it comes to eyeliners I am a MAC girl. I love the glitter, the ease of application and the staying power. But I am aware that the stuff in MAC eyeliners aren’t exactly good for you, one of my friends bleaches her skin and she refuses to touch MAC products on the basis that “MAC products use petrochemicals”. Now if my friend who is willing to bleach her face isn’t willing to use MAC stuff, then maybe I should start to consider alternatives…



Up steps Inika mineral make-up with it’s sleek and sexy packaging. There are some great ideas here, like the sharpener incorporated into the lid – why don’t all eyeliners have this?
These eyeliners are easy to apply and to remove. Sadly that is their best and worst quality;  one accidental brush of the eyelid and 90% of your eyeliner is gone leaving behind a translucent black residue that stays on your eyelid, sweeping off into the direction of the accidental brush. My sister actually thought I’d accidentally rubbed dirt on my face. Why dirt? I don’t know, I like natural but I’m not in the habit of smearing myself with dirt. In any case, it didn’t look good. Who knows? Maybe dirt would have looked better…more Rambo and less smeary.  Ultimately it's staying power is super low and for that we've had to give it 3/5.

                Black Caviar            Sapphire             

The colours themselves are great, the black is really rich and if it stayed that way then we would most definitely be onto a winner, the sapphire colour is nice and subtle but there’s not much punch to it so it doesn’t work so well as a complementary colour. It just sits on your lid like when you spill a little water on the counter top. Aesthetically speaking, it’s not terrible. Ultimately, however, it’s now just another mess you need to clean up. Thankfully, Inika created something that will come off in an instant and you end up forgetting how bad it all was when you wake up in the morning only to start the smudge cycle again.
For now, I’m going to stick with MAC. I promise to try my best not to use it on my waterline and to use a natural cleanser when I take it off.

Have you ever used Inika eyeliners? what did you think?
We hope you've had a great day!
Layla,
X
Ingredients: Jojoba Seed Oil, Candelilla Wax, Castor Seed Oil, Cetyl Alcohol.
May contain: (+/-) Mica (CI 77019), Ultramarine Blue (CI 77007), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Chromium Green Oxide

3 comments:

  1. I had exactly the same problem with inika. It had smudged and by the time I had got to work (but it was easy to remove) I tried it 7 times and each time it got worse. I'd really like to use more natural makeup but experiences like that just put me off. Is the lavera eyeliner much better?
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's a shame, I feel lke if I could find a waterline liner and a lipstick that were natural and really good, i wouldnt feel so bad about the rest. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ellie - the lavera eyeliner is better but it's staying power isn't great, it doesn't smudge so if you plan on using it on the lid you should be fine.
    Vivacia Dreams - tell me about it, we may have some ideas for you in the line of lipsticks though.....
    X

    ReplyDelete